Sunday, September 10, 2006

 

Cooling vest 5 - building a hat with a fan

I'm trying to lower the body temperature so my neurons will fire a bit faster, thus I will think faster and better = increased IQ. Apparently this works for people with MS, see my first post on this subject. Today I'll build a hat with a fan to accomplish that. A true thinking hat! Mensa , watch out!
---
This is what cools your CPU, at least if you have an AMD powered computer. The local PC shop builds custom computers, replaces these fans with better things and sells these for under $1. It is brushless and really nice to work with as we will see.



After having soldered a 9 Volt battery connector to the fan and checking that it worked, I went through my drawers and discovered this historical Microsoft Tech Ed - 97 cap. Perfect!



First I created the air-inlet with a pair of scissors.


Then the fan was equipped with double sided tape in the corners so it would stay on the cap.


This is what it looked like when tested for the first time. It is acutally working as intended so far.


And can be worn as can be seen in this picture...


Some extra double sided tape on the battery and the cap can be worn without the battery hanging down!


Starting temperature. 36.9 degrees Celcius before putting on cap...


After 22 minutes the temperature is somewhat reduced, but it feels like things is not working.


Another trial, this time the fan get's a fresh battery and spins much faster. The old one was used in a smoke-detector which had started to send out the alarm signal that the battery was almost dead. I also put ordinary tape on the side of the fan so all air would go down on the head.


Final test result. After 69 minutes, the temperature is still 36.6 degrees Celcius.


So the temperature did not drop that much, it probably dropped that much just because I sat down and watched TV for an hour. And I really didn't feel any colder or smarter after watching TV for an hour... strange ;-)

One thing to note here is that the thermometer used can actually be pressed against the head and take a reading. All over my head it showed differenet temperatures between 34 and 35 degrees Celcius, except where the fan had been. At that place the temperature was so low that the thermometer showed just a "LOW" error message, which probably meant somewhere under 34 degrees Celcius...

Conclusion, this didn't work either, Mensa members can all calm down now, but it does seems like a fan can lower the temperature at a certain place of the body...
And it didn't feel that bad to have the fan spinning on the head. I really liked this fan, light, slim and almost soundless. (At least compared to my Laptop fan)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?